Skip to content

History & Heritage

The vicars of Lewisham

Somebody has held this living in an unbroken line since about 1200 — among them a translator of the King James Bible, a Dean of Canterbury, and three men from the family that owned the right to appoint them.

A list of vicars is the most continuous record a parish has. Buildings burn and are rebuilt, registers begin late, monuments commemorate whoever could afford the marble — but the succession runs on. Read down this one and you get the Reformation, the Commonwealth, Georgian pluralism, the aristocracy’s grip on church patronage and its loosening, and the twentieth century, without anybody having to narrate them.

Who chose them

The interesting question about any vicar before about 1900 is not who he was but who put him there, and in Lewisham the answer changed four times.

  • The Abbot and Convent of St Peter’s, Ghent. Lewisham was given to the Flemish abbey in 918, and for centuries the vicar of an English parish on the edge of London was named from across the Channel.
  • The Prior and Convent of Shene. The alien priories were suppressed and the living passed to a Carthusian house in Surrey.
  • The Crown, from the Dissolution. This is the stretch that produced Saravia and Colfe.
  • The Legge family, Earls of Dartmouth, from 1673. Reynold Graham — the only lord of the manor buried in this church — had no children, and by a deed of 30 May 1673 conveyed the manor and the advowson together to his nephew George Legge, afterwards Baron Dartmouth. The family presented its first vicar four years later, and for a century afterwards it appointed its own relations.

And the Earl of Dartmouth is still the patron today. The arrangement that began in 1677 has never lapsed. It no longer means what it meant when Edward Legge was presented by his own father’s family — a modern patron is one voice in an appointment process with the diocese and the parish representatives, not a landowner disposing of a piece of property — but the link itself is unbroken, and is now approaching three hundred and fifty years.

How a man got this living

Reading Duncan’s notes on the medieval vicars, three things become obvious that the bare list hides.

Livings were swapped. Not resigned and filled, but exchanged, directly, between two priests who each wanted what the other had. John de Lee left Lewisham in 1345 by exchanging with James Pundrick of Stepney; Thomas Twenghe held it for a few months in 1353–54 and exchanged out to a parish in Wiltshire; William Frome exchanged to Chiddingfold in 1441 and John Witton exchanged in from it. The record-holder is John Keylmarsh, vicar here from 1396, who by then had moved through South Mimms, Birchanger, Radwinter, Aldham, Great Bardfield, Abberton, Cookham, West Wickham and Gingrave. Duncan, having traced all of it, notes drily that he resigned in 1405 — most probably from old age, if all those appointments really are the same man.

War with France put the King in the patron’s chair. Because the abbey was foreign, the Crown seized the parish whenever the two countries were fighting, and while it held it, it appointed. Thomas Twenghe was presented by Edward III on exactly those grounds in 1353, and Keylmarsh by Richard II in 1396 by reason of the war with France. Two of Lewisham’s vicars owe their jobs to the Hundred Years’ War.

And the abbey worked through a man on the spot. Three vicars in the fourteenth century — Ralph de Olneye in 1321, John de Lee in 1327, James Pundrick in 1345 — were presented by James de Doura, Prior of Lewisham and procurator for the Abbot and Convent of St Peter of Ghent. He is the only prior of the lost priory this site can name.

Two of the earliest names on the list are here only because Ghent kept its files. Duncan found Geffrey, chaplain of Lievesham, witnessing an agreement about appointing a priest to Greenwich in about 1200, and Robert, vicar of Lievesham, witnessing another at Bromley in February 1239 — both in a survey of the Flanders archives published in Belgium in 1842, which he noted had escaped every local historian before him. The two oldest vicars we can name are known from documents that were never in England.

What they were vicar of

The job changed out of all recognition, and not because anybody changed the job. Until the 1830s St Mary’s was the only church for the whole of Lewisham — Blackheath to Sydenham, Brockley to Bellingham. Every one of the men above, down to Henry Legge, was responsible for all of it.

Then, in eighty-four years, twenty parishes were carved out of it. Augustus Legge inherited a fraction of what his uncle had begun with, and the vicars since have served a parish smaller again. It is the single biggest difference between the top of that list and the bottom — the ancient parish, and what became of it.

Eight worth stopping at

Out of fifty-five names, in the order they held the living. The rest are on the list below, which is not a slight — most parish priests leave no trace but the entry recording that they were instituted, and that is true of most of the good ones.

John Glyn Vicar from 1546

Gave £100 towards a school in the parish in 1564 — the first free schooling in Lewisham, and the seed of what Abraham Colfe would build into Colfe's School a century later.

Hasted dates his institution to 11 October 1545 and the parish's own record to October 1546. Colfe's School dates its origin to 1574, by which time Glyn had left the living. None of these quite agree and the parish has never settled it.

Adrian de Saravia Vicar 1595–1610

Born at Hesdin in Artois in 1532 and came to England from the Low Countries. In 1607 he was named to Lancelot Andrewes's First Westminster Company — the group that translated Genesis to the end of 2 Kings for the King James Bible. He was one of only three of its translators born outside England.

He was a friend of Richard Hooker and absolved him on his deathbed, and he argued, unusually for the time, that the Church's commission to send missionaries had never lapsed — which makes him an early Protestant mission theologian as well as a translator. He left Lewisham in 1610 for the rectory of Great Chart.

For six years, then, the parish's curate was working under a man who was turning the opening of the Old Testament into the English that people still hear read aloud. That curate was Abraham Colfe.

Abraham Colfe Curate 1604, vicar 1610–1657

Over fifty years in the parish, forty-seven of them as vicar, and the only local incumbent not ejected under Cromwell. He founded a grammar school on John Glyn's earlier gift, an elementary school, a public library and almshouses, and led a successful campaign to stop three courtiers of James I felling the woods at Sydenham.

He also put a bench by the priest's door so that elderly parishioners could rest, which is the detail that tells you most about him.

His wife Margaret, the parish midwife, has a memorial in the church that a composer set to music in 2020.

Edward Trotter Came 1658, instituted 1660

The Commonwealth entry, and the reason the succession has a seam in it rather than a clean join. Colfe died in December 1657; Trotter came the following year and was formally instituted in 1660, the year the monarchy returned.

Hasted's list skips him entirely and jumps from Colfe to Alexander Davison in 1677, which is what happens when a later compiler tidies away an inconvenient interregnum. The parish's own record keeps him, and so does this page.

George Stanhope Vicar 1689–1728

The most eminent man to hold this living. Stanhope came here at twenty-nine as chaplain to Lord Dartmouth, who owned the advowson, and stayed thirty-eight years. He was chaplain in ordinary to William and Mary and then to Queen Anne, Boyle Lecturer in 1701–02, three times Prolocutor of the Lower House of Convocation, and Dean of Canterbury from 1703 until his death.

He was one of the great preachers of his day and preached before Queen Anne at St Paul's at the national thanksgivings for Marlborough's victories. His paraphrase of Thomas à Kempis, published in 1698 as The Christian's Pattern, was still being reprinted in 1865 — a hundred and sixty-seven years in print.

He rebuilt the vicarage here at his own expense in 1692–93. His monument in the church says he was 'grave without preciseness, facetious without levity', which may be the best thing ever written about a Vicar of Lewisham.

William Lowth Vicar 1739–1795

Fifty-five years, the longest anybody has held this living, and he saw the medieval church taken down in 1774 and the present one opened in 1777 — with part of the east side falling down on the second Sunday.

His niece Mary Eden married Ebenezer Blackwell of The Limes, a partner in Martin's Bank, a close friend of John and Charles Wesley and treasurer of the church during the rebuilding. The Wesleys were frequent guests at The Limes, so Methodism's founders were in and out of the parish throughout Lowth's incumbency — and John Wesley preached in this church on 23 November 1777, in Lowth's eleven-week-old building.

He was also the brother of Robert Lowth, Bishop of London from 1777, which Lysons records on his monument in 1796 as plainly as that: 'brother of the late Bishop of London'. Mary Eden was niece to both of them. The day after Wesley preached here, he spent the afternoon at Blackwell's house with the bishop, and thought his behaviour worthy of a Christian bishop — 'easy, affable, courteous'.

The Legges Vicars 1797–1825, 1831–1879, 1879–1891

For most of a century the family that owned the right to appoint the Vicar of Lewisham appointed its own. The Legges, Earls of Dartmouth, held the manor, the rectory and the advowson, and put three of their own into the living: Edward, seventh son of the second Earl; then Henry; then Augustus, son of the fourth Earl and nephew of Henry.

Edward Legge became Bishop of Oxford in 1816 and Warden of All Souls in 1817, and went on holding Lewisham until 1825 — nine years as bishop, warden and vicar at once. That was not a scandal at the time; it was how the eighteenth-century Church worked, and it is worth seeing plainly rather than being tutted at from a distance.

Henry Legge held the living for forty-eight years and the church was remodelled under him. Augustus followed his uncle, served twelve years, and left in 1891 to be Bishop of Lichfield. Two peal boards were dedicated in the tower in March 1892, one for his consecration and one for the induction of his successor. They are still up there.

It is the plainest illustration this parish has of how the Church of England actually worked before patronage reform: the living was a piece of property, and it went to family.

Samuel Bickersteth Vicar 1891–1905

From a clerical dynasty, and afterwards Vicar of Leeds, Canon of Canterbury and Chaplain to the King. He and his wife Ella Chlora Faithfull had six sons, and the family spent the boys' childhood in the vicarage here.

Ella kept the letters. What she assembled became the Bickersteth war diary — eleven volumes of correspondence from her sons through the First World War, and one of the fuller records of how that war reached one family.

Morris, born in 1891, the year his father came to Lewisham, was killed on 1 July 1916, the first day of the Somme, leading an attack on Serre. He was twenty-five.

Where they lived

The parish has been obliged to house its vicar since 1218. Stanhope rebuilt the house at his own expense in 1692 and wrote down what every part of it cost — and the accounts survive, along with a survey of the glebe that explains why there is a street called Vicars Hill. The vicarage house has the photograph and the ledger.

The full succession

Medieval

Presented by the Abbot and Convent of St Peter's, Ghent, who had held Lewisham since 918, and later by the Prior and Convent of Shene.

  • c.1200Geoffrey ChaplainNamed in a document
  • 1226NicholasPastor; his death is the record
  • 1227Henry ChaplainDied accidentally
  • 1239RobertNamed in a document
  • 1256JohnNamed in a document
  • 1267RichardHasted calls him the first vicar
  • 1297WilliamNamed in a document
  • 1321Ralph de Oineye
  • 1327John de Lee
  • 1345James Pundrick
  • 1353Thomas Twenghe
  • 1354John de Kendale
  • 1376William AssereNamed in a document
  • 1396William CookResigned
  • 1396John Keylmarsh
  • 1406Thomas Okey
  • 1410Stephen SheldrakeNamed in a document
  • 1411Simon KynotNamed in a document
  • 1411William AssewellNamed in a document
  • 1413Gilbert StonehamNamed in a document
  • 1415Richard ChapmanNamed in a document
  • 1431William FromeNamed in a document
  • 1441John WittonDied 1444
  • 1444Peter Rickman
  • 1459John MalloryDied 1461
  • 1474William Helwyse, or Elwys
  • 1483Roger TochetResigned 1530; a Sir John Malyn is also named in 1498

Reformation and Commonwealth

The Crown took the patronage at the Dissolution. This is the stretch that gives the parish a Bible translator and its greatest benefactor.

  • 1530John CrayfordTo 1545
  • 1546John OliverMay
  • 1546John GlynOctober. Gave £100 towards a school in 1564
  • 1568John BungayDied 1595
  • 1595Adrian de SaraviaTranslator of the King James Bible
  • 1610Abraham ColfeCurate here from 1604; died 1657
  • 1660Edward TrotterCame to St Mary's in 1658, under the Commonwealth

Georgian

The Legge family — Barons and then Earls of Dartmouth — bought the manor, the rectory and the right to appoint the vicar. They would keep it for two hundred years.

  • 1677Alexander DavisonDied 1688
  • 1689George StanhopeDean of Canterbury; rebuilt the vicarage at his own cost
  • 1728John InglisDied 1739
  • 1739William LowthFifty-five years — the longest incumbency here
  • 1795Hugh Jones
  • 1797Edward LeggeBishop of Oxford from 1816, while still vicar here
  • 1825Hugh JonesReappointed

Victorian and Edwardian

Two more Legges, then the family's hold ends and the parish gets a run of men who went on to be bishops.

  • 1831Henry LeggeForty-eight years; the church was remodelled under him
  • 1879Augustus LeggeNephew of Henry; Bishop of Lichfield from 1891
  • 1891Samuel BickerstethHis family's war diaries are a known record of 1914–18
  • 1905William Woodcock HoughAfterwards Bishop of Woolwich; the Hough Chapel carries his name

Modern

A parish of nineteen daughter churches, two world wars, a shrinking congregation and then a growing one.

  • 1917Richard Polgreen RoseveareCurate here 1889–92, and came back as vicar twenty-five years later
  • 1924Arthur Llewellyn Preston“I am such a poor reader”
  • 1933Claude Rutledge Cotter
  • 1944Perry Douglas RobbAfterwards Archdeacon of Kingston
  • 1955Francis Robert Longworth-DamesHis own signature reads Longworth-Dame; the parish's printed directory and its list of vicars both say Dames
  • 1966Harold Gatehouse Bear
  • 1979David GarlickTwenty-eight years, to his reluctant retirement at seventy in 2007; the re-ordering of 1995–96 was his. Commissary of the Bishop of the Windward Islands for over twenty-five years. Died in Grenada, 2016
  • 2008Scott Anderson
  • 2012Steve Hall
  • 2025David Adamson-HillInstituted 1 September 2025

And the other list

Every vicar since about 1200 is known. The parish also keeps a list of its churchwardens — the lay officers, elected by the parish, who held the money, the fabric and a good deal of the power — and it makes a sharper point than the clergy list does, because of what is missing from it.

It opens with William Grenerig in 1498, and has Richard Dyngley and Richard Howlett in 1552. Then it stops. The next name on it is John Baker in 1743.

A hundred and ninety-one years of churchwardens are gone. The vicars survive that stretch because a bishop’s registry recorded every institution and those registries are still in Rochester and Canterbury; the churchwardens were the parish’s own business, recorded in the parish’s own books, and the parish’s own books burned in the vestry in 1830. The clergy are remembered by the institution above them. The laypeople were remembered by themselves, and it was not enough.

From 1743 it runs unbroken to the present. Some of them stayed: G. W. J. King served thirty-one years, from 1893 to 1924, and E. C. Sinkler eighteen alongside him. And in 1776 the parish elected a Paul Valentine — the surname of the Lewisham tanner Margaret Colfe had married before she married the vicar, a hundred and sixty years earlier.

A. J. French, whose 1920s pamphlet is quoted on the music page and whose photograph of the chancel is the only picture the parish has of the organ in place, is on this list too: vicar’s warden from 1921.

Where the record argues with itself

Three places, all of them stated rather than tidied:

  • John Glyn’s institution. Hasted says 11 October 1545; the parish’s own list says October 1546. One year apart, both in October.
  • The Commonwealth. Hasted goes straight from Colfe’s death in 1657 to Alexander Davison in 1677 and omits Edward Trotter altogether. The parish’s record keeps him.
  • The twentieth century. The parish’s own list and the captions to its portraits give different forms of the same names — Perry or Percy Robb, Scott Anderson or Peter Scott-Anderson. The list above follows the list; the portraits have not been reconciled with it. Longworth-Dames is not settled, and this site said it was. The 1963 appeal is signed in his own hand and the signature reads Francis Longworth-Dame. — hyphenated, a final e, then a full stop, with no s. On that alone this page called it decided. But the parish directory printed during his own incumbency has him as Canon F. R. LONGWORTH-DAMES, and the parish’s list of vicars agrees with the directory. Two printed records against one signature, and a man’s signature is a habit rather than a spelling. The list above now follows the printed form and records that his own hand disagreed.
  • Lowth, not Louth. Duncan uses both spellings within a single book, and the parish’s list has Louth. But the tablet set up on the south porch when the church was finished reads The Revd. Wm. Lowth, D.D., Vicar, and Hasted agrees. The site follows the stone, which is the oldest witness and is still in the building.

And for the medieval entries, “named in a document” means exactly that. The parish knows a man was called vicar in some record of that year, not when he came or when he left.

Elsewhere on this site

Colfe’s foundations are still going: the schools and the Leathersellers follows the money from Glyn’s £100 to six schools today, and the linked charities covers the almshouses. Margaret Colfe and George Stanhope both have monuments in the church — see the monuments — and the peal boards for Augustus Legge and Samuel Bickersteth are in the tower.

The last two names on the list have more behind them than a line in a table. David Garlick’s twenty-eight years took in the re-ordering of the building and the memorial service for the thirteen young people who died in the New Cross Fire, held here in 1981 with Pentecostal, Methodist, United Reformed and Roman Catholic ministers all taking part; his predecessor’s span covers most of the rest. Both are on the twentieth century, which is the least recorded part of the parish’s history and not the least eventful.

Where this comes from

This parish is fortunate in its historians. Three works stand behind these pages, and none of them is ours.

  • St Mary's Church Lewisham: History (2004, revised 2017)

    Julian Watson

    Copyright Julian Watson, used with his permission. The greater part of what is written here comes from this book and from his unpublished research, and any of it that is wrong is our doing rather than his.

  • The Churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Lewisham (1992)

    Ken White

    Copyright Ken White, used with his permission.

  • The Church Record of St Mary the Virgin, Lewisham

    The Arts Society Blackheath and The Arts Society Greenwich, completed by the Church Recording Society, 2021–2024

    A catalogue of every object in the building, begun in the incumbency of Canon David Garlick and finished in that of Fr Steve Hall. The descriptions, measurements and attributions of the monuments come from it.

  • The Parish Church of Saint Mary, Lewisham, Kent (1892)

    Leland L. Duncan, F.S.A.

    Out of copyright, so this is a citation rather than a licence — but it is the single largest source for the medieval parish, the tower bequests, the churchyard, the vicarage house and the medieval vicars, and its six plates are the earliest images the parish has. Duncan was honorary secretary of the Lewisham Antiquarian Society, which met in the parish church hall, and he was educated at Colfe's — the school one of these vicars founded.

Some of these captions are guesses. Please correct us.

The parish archive runs to well over a thousand photographs, most of them unlabelled. Where a caption here rests on a filename rather than on a document, it says so — but we will have got things wrong that we do not yet know are wrong.

If you recognise a place, a face, a date or an object, we would be very glad to hear from you, and we will change the page and say who told us. Photographs of the church before the 1990s re-ordering, and anything at all of the choir, would be especially welcome.

Text and images are the copyright of their authors unless otherwise stated. If you would like to reproduce anything from these pages, please ask us and we will put you in touch with the right person.